I've Lost my W-2, Where Can I Get A Replacement Copy?

You can only obtain a copy of your W2 from the IRS if you submitted a paper return. It is quickest to request a replacement from your employer. Another option is to request a copy through the SSA.


IRS-backlog-return-delays-1000x675You will only be able to get an actual copy of your Form W-2 from the IRS if you submitted a paper tax return. It is not available if you submitted electronically. 

To receive a transcript, visit Get Your Tax Record page. Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them and About the New Tax Transcript: FAQs for more information. 

You are also able to receive a transcript by using Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Check the box for Form W-2, specify which tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax the completed form. It will take 10 business days from the time the IRS receives your request to process and send out your transcript.

You can request transcripts from up to 10 years prior. Only federal tax information will be included (no state or local tax information is reported by your employer to SSA on your form W-2). Please note that if you are looking for current tax year information it may not be complete until July.  

To obtain a copy of your W-2, the quickest method is to ask your employer. If that is not an option, you can request one from SSA, or pay a fee for a copy of your entire tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return along with the required fee and mailing it in. This is a lengthy process that takes approximately 75 days for a response.   

Need tax help? Contact Peter Witts CPA PC for expert advice and solutions. With 20+ years of experience, we're here for all your tax questions and issues.


I’m Kristin, the PWCPA PC Customer Success Specialist. For more information about this topic, or any other, you can always reach me through our customer ticketing system.